|Wanting to come to Queens--good idea?
||[Oct. 20th, 2010|08:27 pm]
Queens College - CUNY
I'm a journalism student in Los Angeles and I'm hoping to do the National Student Exchange and come to Queens! Unfortunately all I really know about it what I learned from wikipedia and google maps (I can't believe that cemetery next door is so big!)
If anyone could answer a few questions for me I'd be very grateful!
1. Are there bike lanes? Is it a good place to bike?
2. What kind of crime is there? Will my bike or components get stolen if I leave it out over night?
3. Is there enough cheaper housing than The Summit? (4k/semester?! FFFFF)
4. What kind of subcultures are prevalent? (I realize that this might be hard to answer given the inherent undergroundness of many subcultures)
5. What's the weather like? How often is it sunny?
6. Is it very loud at night? Will I be able to sleep?
7. How hard is it to get a job there?
8. How long does it take to get to Manhattan via bike, zipcar, or public transit? Do people often go? Or are the other boroughs more popular?
9. What kind of events does the school do? Cal State Northridge (where I study now) has about 2 events a week, and they do hikes, movies, lectures, parties, contests, and fairs.
10. Anything else I should know/ask/consider?
Thank you very much!